Just about everyone loves a refreshing bowl of guacamole—so whether you’re hosting, or simply hungry, consider upping the ante with a seasonally thrilling twist, including lime crema and a little kick! Use your favorite sliced bread, from wheat to rye and more. You can even add a sprinkle of paprika, celery seed, or black sesame, to enhance flavor and presentation. Follow the simple recipe below, and you’ll be serving stunning guacamole with style in no time!
Tropical Guacamole Bites with Lime Crema
Yield: about 24 bites
6 slices multigrain bread
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing on bread
3 ripe avocados
1/2 cup diced red onion
3 tablespoons lime juice, add more if desired
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for sprinkle for bread
Pinch of cayenne, optional
1 cup diced mangoes
Chopped cilantro, garnish
1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt or sour cream
1 tablespoon lime zest
2 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the crust off the edge of all the bread slices and use a rolling pin to roll flat the bread slices, one at a time and in both directions, until very thin. Place flattened slices on a baking sheet, lightly brush the top surface with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Remove and cool. Cut each slice into 4 squares.
- To make the guacamole, remove the pits and scoop the meat of the avocados into a medium bowl. Add red onion, lime juice, cilantro, salt, and cayenne. Use a wooden spoon to mash the ingredients together until combined, but still a bit chunky. Add mango to the bowl and gently combine. Taste to see if more seasoning is needed.
- To make the crema, combine the yogurt, lime juice, lime zest, and salt in a bowl.
- To assemble, put about 1 tablespoon of guacamole in the center of each toast crisp. Top with crema and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.