Open your heart and discover several ways you can make a difference and give back. Remember, something that feels small to one person might significantly impact another. Consider donating unused gift cards to charity or buying a child a set of building blocks they can play with for years to come.
Here are five ways you can give back this season:
- Many of us have a stack of unused gift cards in our wallets or a few collecting dust in our junk drawers. According to Bankrate, 51% of U.S. adults have unused gift cards, and the average person is leaving $116 on the table. Instead of leaving the cards or money behind, donate them. There are several websites and companies that can take the remaining balance and provide money to those in need. It’s easy, fast, and can help others that are not as fortunate. charitygiftcertificates.org
- Get out there and give back! Whether you are interested in donating your time, money, or skills, check out volunteermatch.org for a variety of ways you can help others. If you prefer volunteering virtually, there are plenty of options for that as well. See how you can make a difference in someone else’s life.
- Put a smile on a child’s face and donate gifts and toys to those less fortunate. There are many children whose parents or caregivers cannot afford to buy them gifts during the holiday season so let’s make sure every kid has something to enjoy. When purchasing a toy, consider buying items that can be used many times. Here are a few recommendations:
b. Arts Supply Kits – with markers, crayons, or pencils they can continue using
d. Building Sets and Blocks
f. Animal Toy Sets
g. Lite Brite
- Write holiday cards to people in nursing homes who might not have family or friends that reach out. A letter or card can go a long way and make people feel heard and valued.
- Do you enjoy baking? Whip up desserts and tasty treats for a neighbor, coworker, or friend. Unwrap a few yummy recipes below:
a. Chocolate Caramel Monkey Bread
b. 26 Classic Christmas Cookie Recipes
c. Brownie Pops
d. Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies
e. 25 of the Best Cupcake Recipes